Map providers and settings
To setup map providers you can go to WP admin ➝ Voxel ➝ Settings ➝ Maps
In the current Voxel version you can use either Google maps or Mapbox. To use any of these provides, you have to generate an API key.
Getting a google maps API key
- Go to the Google Cloud Platform Console.
- Create or select a project.
- Click Continue to enable the API and any related services.
You can find them here
- On the Credentials page, get an API key.
- From the dialog displaying the API key, select Restrict key to set a browser restriction on the API key.
- In the Key restriction section, select HTTP referrers (web sites), then follow the on-screen instructions to set referrers.
Note: Even though Google maps has a free usage quota, Google may require you to input Billing details before you are able to use their services
Getting a Mapbox API key
- Create a Mapbox account
- Go to account page
- Scroll down till you see “Access tokens”
- Copy the “Default public token”
Map skins with Google maps
You can create custom map styles through the Google Maps Cloud Console. The output JSON code can then be pasted in Voxel map settings
Map skins with Mapbox
You can create custom map styles through Mapbox Studio. The output URL can then be pasted in Voxel map settings
You can select language for your maps in Voxel ➝ Settings ➝ Map > Localization.
For Google maps, If you set the language of the map, it’s important to consider setting the region too. This helps ensure that your application complies with local laws. If a region is set, address geocoding results will be biased towards that region too. Read more
The map provider also powers the location autocomplete available in Voxel.
You can adjust the settings of the autocomplete, separately for the location filter (Search form) and location field (Submission form).